Wednesday 4 March 2009

iPlayer rules them all?






As previously stated, for me the iPlayer offers the best VoD (video on demand) service. One of my primary reasons for this is that it works on a Mac!
It is also extremely navigable and easy to use unlike some of its rivals (ITV and 4OD..... as for Channel Five, if I were remotely interested in anything they had to offer I might have a look...). The other thing is that the BBC produces programmes I would actually watch, I'm not a big fan of celebrities I haven't heard of doing mundane things and then voting for an eventual winner you see, unless it was a competition like the one in The Running Man! I also tried to watch a Champions League match on the ITV player, but that was an exercise in futility.

The cheekily named Skyplayer offers a pretty decent service and a bit of a challenge to the iPlayer:



You don't have to be a Sky TV customer (or take Sky Broadband) to get this service

You can buy packages at £5 a month for Sky Player access

There is great deal of pay per view content, including a World Cinema service

It also looks like Sky has a lot of clout with US distributors and may be able to offer a wide range of content and full series, eg, BSG.

There are some excellent reviews of all the VoD services from DownloadMonkey here
http://www.downloadmonkey.co.uk/?s=reviews

and and excellent discussion from The Guardian's Gareth McLean here:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/jun/02/bbc.itv


No comments:

Post a Comment